DAYANG BUNTING MARBLE GEOFOREST PARK
Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park is situated in the southern of Langkawi with the built up area of 4,354 hectares and is made up of 3 reserved forests; Hutan Simpan, Pulau Tuba and Pulau Dayang Bunting. This area is made from three formations of rocks namely; limestone, which is the Setul Formation, aged 350 – 490 million years old, Chuping Formation aged 255 – 270 million years old and Singa Formation aged 270 – 350 million years old. Despite all this, almost a fraction of the limestone has been transformed into marble. This transformation happened due to the changes in temperature and pressure affecting the limestone.
- Consist 3 formations of limestone which are the Setul Formation, Chuping Formation (a lighter coloured of the limestone) and Singa Formation sandstone, siltstone, soilstone and limestone).
- Situated in the southern part of Langkawi and a combination of two reservation forest which are the Hutan Simpan Pulau Tuba and Hutan Simpan Pulau Dayang Bunting.
- The amazing natural affect where the limestone is transformed into marble due to the changes in temperature and pressure.
- Tasik Dayang Bunting (the largest fresh water lake in Langkawi) is formed from a collapsed cave which later turned into a dam filled with rain water.
- It is well known for the mythical legend about a princess, Puteri Dayang Sari who married Mat Teja and was later blessed with a child. Unfortunately, the baby died at a mere age of 7 days. The Princess and the child later was laid to rest in the same lake.
- The Geosites in this area are:
- Dayang Bunting Geosite (Pulau Singa Kechil, Gua Pasir Dagang)
- Pulau Ular Geosite
- Pulau Tuba Geosite (Pulau Lima and Pulau Dua) and others; Pulau Tepor and Pulau Bumbun
- Pulau Tepor is unique because it has dropstones (stones from another continent brought here from the iceberg and fell into the sea around 350 million years ago and is still preserved since then.
- Pulau Ular has sand mangrove species (Rhizophora Stylosa) which are very rare to be found.